Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"Good Hair"

No, I haven't seen the Chris Rock movie yet, but I plan to!

I have always been fascinated with black hair. To me, natural black hair is SO beautiful. I love the way it looks, the texture, everything. It bothers me that so many black women go to all kinds of lengths, paying all kinds of money, just to make their hair look more like mine. HELLO! I would give up my lame 'do for an afro any day! I've seen many a Tyra show discussing little black girls' hair and how their parents use chemical relaxers on their daughters' hair at as young as 4 years old (!!!), so that they can have what they (or other kids at school) consider "good hair." I think that is insane! And growing up in a predominantly black area in the South, I've been exposed to all sorts of feelings about what "good hair" is. It's hard for me to understand completely when I find it all so beautiful.

Video clip from the movie "Good Hair":


Video clip from The Tyra Show:


Even out here in Utah, I have a white friend who has biracial children with her black husband and she's all the time talking about how her son has "good hair," because it's soft and curly. That's embarrassing to me. I would never let my child hear me talking like that. All I know is that my little black girls (through adoption or if I have my own "nappy-headed" little girls), are going to be BEAUTIFUL with their cornrows and twists and plaits. I'm not going to force a white standard of beauty on their young minds. They will be told EVERYDAY that they're beautiful. "Good hair" to me is healthy hair, no matter the texture.

I mean, look at this! I did this little girl's hair recently, braided it up into two little afro puffs. You can't tell me she isn't beautiful with her natural hair:


 Here's another example of my work on a young girl's hair:


Beautiful! What can I say? I'm jealous. Ha ha.

I'm grateful that I have the talent that it takes to do black hair. I'm self-taught and I've been doing hair pretty much since I moved here over 5 years ago. There are so many white couples out here who've adopted black children who don't really have a clue how to take care of their child's hair. When they do get it done, the hair has already started forming dreads because it hasn't been brushed properly. So it's an unnecessarily painful process... and that's all the kid's going to remember... that it hurts and they wish they had hair like their mama's. I don't want my kids to hate their hair because it hurts to get it done.

Zay's a barber, so he's into the whole hair thing as well. I'm impressed with his talent. We're gonna have some nice-looking, well-groomed children for sure! He's always trying to educate parents of black children on ways to take care of their hair, trying to make a difference and not let kids (and adults) walk around looking busted. Ha ha.

Anyways, I'm not saying black women should never get relaxers or weaves or any of that. I'm just saying that I would like my kids to learn to love their natural hair in their youth, and then they can do whatever they want to with it when they're adults. I'm so looking forward to the bonding time my future daughters and I will have while I do their hair. That's gonna be a special time that I hope they'll always remember. They'll know that black is beautiful and that forcing a white standard of beauty on themselves would be like saying their race isn't as good as other races. Which, of course, is bullcrap. :)





2 comments:

  1. I think I should have you braid my hair again! Except I don't think my work would like it very much... shoot. Thanks for sharing your blog with me! Yay for babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cornrows are beautiful! Wow, Alice Anne, I didn't know you were so talented. I love doing my daughters' hair. I know you will enjoy your time doing your own little girls' hair someday.

    ~Montse~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog