Wednesday, November 18, 2009

More Kitty Love

We are cat people around here.

It's not just me, I promise - Zay loves the kitties too, no matter how much he tries to deny it. Because I'll come home and find him like this:

Zay with Zeus & Felix
He can't fool me!

I grew up with cats and there's something so comforting about a cat jumping up on your lap and purring. The simplest, happiest memories of my dad growing up was watching him with our cats. He was super gentle and I loved that. He's still that way.

Zay had cats growing up as well. His favorite cat was run over and it made him so sad. It's one of those memories that always stuck with him. He tries to say that animals are nothing but trouble, but he's the one who brought home both of our cats that we have now. He saved them from most likely being killed or living as feral cats out on the streets. And he did this totally without my knowledge. He just surprised me with them.

I know he wants a dog. And I imagine when we finally settle down somewhere and buy a house that we'll eventually get a dog. College life and apartment-living keep us from taking that leap into dog-ownership just yet. We want a yard and a fence first, I think. One day.

Anyway, a good side benefit to having our kitties is that they are so good with kids! Especially Felix, who just lays there and lets you pick him up and toss him around like a ragdoll. He's so cool with it. Zeus is still a wuss, though... he tends to hide under the bed all day and run away from kids. Still a benefit! They're not going to be sneaking into any cribs at night and attacking babies' faces. Ha ha ha. Especially since they don't even have claws... They couldn't paw a baby to death, could they?!... Just kidding!
Here's Felix, totally docile and limp, as my neighbor's kid grips him tight. He's such a good cat! He's probably thinking, "Oh my gosh! Put me down! What are you doing??" But he never lets on. Such a good little kitty witty!



Pets are good for kids, I think. It teaches them responsibility and lessons about the circle of life, since they give birth and die at a faster rate than people do. It teaches them compassion and respect for life. To me, there's no downside to having well-behaved, trained, clean animals as pets. They were a big part of my childhood and I want that for my future kids as well. :)





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog