Saturday, December 5, 2009

Finding Joy in the Journey

Photo: www.ldschurchgifts.com

A friend of mine pointed out a quote recently that I definitely needed to hear. It was in a talk given by Jeffrey R. Holland entitled, "The Tongue of Angels":

"...no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."

Ha ha. It's true.

And with Thanksgiving and gratefulness and my ever-present worrying on the brain, this past Sunday I felt like the talks given at Church were specifically written for me and Zay as well. The topic centered around "Finding Joy in the Journey," which is also the title of an amazing talk given by Thomas S. Monson, the president of the LDS Church.

The topic was so relevant for us at that moment, and I really appreciated it. Zay and I kept shooting glances at each other every time the speakers would say something that hit home. Sometimes Zay and I both get into a funk where we have a hard time enjoying the now because we're hoping for something in the future. Hoping for things in the future is fine, but not if it clouds your vision so much that you can't enjoy the moment. We may never know what kind of opportunities we let pass us by or what kind of relationship we could have developed if we can't focus on what we can do today to enjoy today. I definitely don't want to sound like a whiner! So, I'm working on that.

My favorite quotes from "Finding Joy in the Journey":

"I am what my wife, Frances, calls a 'show-a-holic.' I thoroughly enjoy many musicals, and one of my favorites was written by the American composer Meredith Willson and is entitled The Music Man. Professor Harold Hill, one of the principal characters in the show, voices a caution that I share with you. Says he, 'You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you've collected a lot of empty yesterdays.'"

"My brothers and sisters, there is no tomorrow to remember if we don't do something today."

"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows."

"The ancient Roman philosopher Horace admonished, 'Whatever hour God has blessed you with, take it with grateful hand, nor postpone your joys from year to year, so that in whatever place you have been, you may say that you have lived happily.'"

"Said the Lord in a revelation given through the Prophet Joseph Smith, 'In nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things.' May we be found among those who give our thanks to our Heavenly Father. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues."





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog