Friday, December 4, 2009

The First African-American Disney Princess

Photo: www.disneylicious.com

I'm soooo super excited to see the upcoming Disney movie "The Princess and the Frog." (Check out the preview HERE.) Since the early '90s, Disney has been adding "princesses" who are races other than white. They've had Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Mulan so far. And it's about time they had a princess that little black girls can relate to - Princess Tiana! I honestly don't know what took them so long, but I'm still super excited. :)

I absolutely love all the classic Disney movies and plan on having a good collection that my future little girls can enjoy as well. My biological girls will be bi-racial and I've always imagined adopting African American daughters. I love that there's now a heroine that they can look at and say, "Hey! She looks like me!" I'm sure it'll help them understand that "princesses" come in all colors. I want them to understand race early on and how it ultimately isn't about who is better than another – we're all just different shades of beautiful.

On a personal note, I actually had a black Barbie doll (or some off-brand doll) when I was a kid, and I didn't think anything of it. Most of my friends at school were black. So my doll was friends with all my other white Barbies. It made perfect sense to me. Unfortunately, I have some extended family members who are unapologetically racist and I remember some of the comments they gave my mom for letting me play with a "nigger Barbie"... Sad. I'm sure there are some people still out there who aren't too happy about a black Disney princess. Ugh. Makes me sick. It makes me wonder what kind of world my kids will grow up in if I was still experiencing overt racism in this day and age.

Hopefully, this step from Disney is a good sign for things to come.

Photo: www.fanpop.com






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog