Sunday, December 6, 2009

Getting in Shape Before Getting Pregnant

Photo: www.multiathlete.com

 So... five years of marriage, stressing out about school, not having time to exercise like I used to (I used to loooove playing soccer in high school), and finding comfort in chocolate (ha ha) left me about 25-30 lbs over what my ideal weight is (and what I was in high school). I don't necessarily miss being stick thin like I was - I like my curves. :) But I miss being able to climb stairs without getting out of breath. Ha ha. Well, actually I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt - partly that's because the Utah air is much harder to breathe in than the Georgia air. So, my breathlessness isn't all because I've gotten chunkier. But...no more excuses, right?

I've really wanted to get back into shape before getting pregnant. It's important to me to have a healthy body if I'm aiming for a healthy pregnancy. And extra weight can contribute to infertility problems (for both men and women), so it's super important that I get on the ball with this. I've eased back into exercising since I graduated in April. I've had 7 full months to get back into the habit. And... ta-da! I've lost a measly 10 lbs. Ha ha. BUT, if I'm really analyzing it - I've gotten way better in the last 2 months and I've lost 6 1/2 lbs in the last 2 months alone. So, I'm getting closer to losing a pound a week and I'm happy about that. That's been my goal.

I'm actually proud of myself for not rushing into vigorous exercise. My slow-poking has actually been beneficial. It's allowed me to make exercising a habit and a daily routine, rather than it being overwhelming. Vigorous exercising isn't that great for babymakin' anyway. It's more about consistency and moderation. I feel much better now that I'm 10 lbs lighter and I'll keep on working on whittling that number down until the day I find out I'm pregnant. Then I'll readjust my exercising accordingly.

What's helped me the most has been (1) Wii Fit and (2) the P90X Extreme Home Fitness DVDs...

I love the Wii! It's fun, addicting, and you're up moving around instead of sitting on your butt on the couch playing video games. It's family friendly. I think all wives should allow (or encourage) their husbands to get a Wii! Wii Fit has yoga, strength training, balance games, and aerobics. It weighs you and tells you your BMI. You can set goals and track your weight and BMI on a chart to see your progress. I love it. They just came out with a Wii Fit Plus that I'm definitely gonna have to pick up.

And oh, boy - P90X is not for the weak. Ha ha. It's definitely high-impact. There's 12 different DVDs that focus on different parts of the body and/or different types of exercising (Plyometrics, Kenpo, etc.), so you never get bored. I haven't even gotten through the whole thing yet, although I've been using it for months now. I've broken it up into 15-minute increments, because that's all I can handle. Ha ha. And some days I repeat the yoga DVD. And some days I go back to the lighter exercising Wii Fit offers. I like that I can clearly see how much room I have to grow. Some exercising DVDs I've mastered and they don't feel like they have any effect after awhile, but I will never master this one ever. It's impossible. Ha ha. So, I improve at my own pace and I love it.

I'm gonna start doing some research about what kind of exercising is best during the different stages of pregnancy. That way I won't have any excuses about continuing my fitness/health goals even after I manage to get a bun in this oven. :)





3 comments:

  1. Wii Fit Plus is fun. I also like how it now lets you put together custom routines and not have to click and search for each individual exercise.

    Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to get the P90X but just couldn't come off the money to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's pretty expensive. We got it used from somebody, though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog