Wednesday, March 31, 2010

How Zay and I Met



When we were doing our Intake Interview, our caseworker asked us about how we met... I wish we had a more, um, elegant way of meeting. But here's the story:

It was the summer of 2001. I was 15 years old at the time (Zay was 19). I was hanging out with my friend Shavon. We were walking up and down the street in Fort Valley, because that's what you do in the South when you don't have anything to do! Walk and talk. I wanted to go to the park, but we didn't have a ride over there and it was all the way across town. So I said, "How bout the next car that comes through here, I'll ask 'em to take us to the park?" I'm pretty sure she said something to the effect of, "You crazy, guh!"

Soon after I said that, this white old-school '70s Ford LTD comes around the corner, speakers booming, trunk rattling. Most likely it was a Bone Thugs-n-Harmony song. That was Zay's favorite music at the time. Shavon recognized the guy and yelled, "Zavius!" Ha ha. She didn't know how to pronounce his name right (Xavier). He stopped and started talking to Shavon out his window. I didn't know him, so I just sat on the curb on the opposite side of the street, waiting for them to finish talking. Turns out Shavon knew him because she was "in love" with one of his brothers. Ha ha. I vaguely recognized his last name. His younger brother was a year older than me and I'm sure I'd seen him around school. Everybody (but me it seemed) knew his family.

I got tired of sitting there on the curb, annoyed I was being ignored I'm sure, and I remembered we wanted to go to the park... so I got up and came over to the car, determined to get my way. They weren't paying me any attention, so I kind of kicked the passenger side of the car and said, "Hey! Take us to the park!" Ha ha ha.

The first thing out of his mouth to me was a slew of curse words. He cussed me out! He didn't play around about his car. I thought it was sooo funny, because it caught me off guard. And in a weird way, I thought it was kind of sexy. I gave him a little attitude back and playfully acted like he hurt my feelings and sat back on the curb. I had a mouth on me when I was a teenager, something I learned was necessary to stand up for myself in rough neighborhoods.

I asserted myself well. He told us to get in, and he took us to the park. :)

Despite being so aggressive in defense of his car earlier, we had a great time at the park. We ended up having a huge debate about religion, ironically. Then we hung out for two days straight. It was the summertime before my sophomore year in high school, so I spent a lot of time at my friends' places in the Valley (there wasn't much to do in my hometown one town over, so I was always gone... making trouble somewhere). He had graduated the year before and had a job in town. There was something attractive about an older guy with a car and a job. Oh, and he had his own apartment. This was impressive to me too. Ha ha! What can I say, I'm easy to please!

Speaking of easy to please, I thought he was the sweetest guy ever. He bought me McDonald's and Dairy Queen (high class!). We watched movies at his apartment (Final Destination and The Matrix). He took me to the park when it got dark and we looked at the stars. We got along so well. I had never connected with someone and been impressed with the intelligence of someone so much in my life.

But... he had a girlfriend (who just happened to be Shavon's sister's best friend!). And we went our separate ways. I didn't want to be that girl. I walked away and had no intention of ever seeing him again, although I thought about him all the rest of the summer. I tried to just tell myself that it was one of those "summer flings" and leave it at that.

Three months later... Shavon came to Marshallville to hang out with me instead of the other way around. We were walking up and down the street with my brother and one of his friends. And out of nowhere, I heard the familiar sound of Zay's car! Shavon yelled, "Zavius!" and my heart almost stopped. We ditched my brother and his friend, jumped in Zay's car and went for a ride, of course! He had just so happened to come to my hometown to see a friend who lived right next to me. He didn't even know where I lived, so he was just as shocked to see me as I was him. But he knew he was never going to let me walk away again.

Shavon and I were born a day apart and were excited that our birthdays were that next week. Zay took us to a flower shop and bought us roses. He and his girlfriend had broken up a few days before. We started dating that day. I remember being so shocked when he told me he loved me - no one had ever said that to me before. I remember holding his hand and feeling like I'd known him forever. We were attached at the hip from that day forward. I knew I was going to marry him not even a month into dating him, but I'm pretty sure he proposed to me at least three different times. (I was stubborn. We'd get in a fight and I'd throw the ring back at him, ha ha.)

We dated for almost 3 years. My mom wanted me to finish high school before I got married, so we waited until the summer after I graduated. By then Zay had joined the Church and we got married in the Atlanta LDS temple in the summer of 2004. We moved to Utah that August so that I could attend BYU... and here we are!





5 comments:

  1. I love that story! It's so cute and just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @The Girl - I know! We're so ghetto! All it took was some McDonald's and him telling me I was beautiful for me to be swept off my feet... :)

    @Calista - Thanks, girl! Ha ha. I wanna hear your love story one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing takes your breath away like a McChicken!lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I never replied to this comment, Travis!!! Ha ha. You know me!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog