Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dreams about Babies

Since trying to add to our family is the #1 thing on my mind lately, of course I'd end up dreaming about it.

I had a dream a few nights ago...

In it, we ended up adopting a child way sooner than expected - I don't even think we had managed to do everything to get approved yet. It was almost like we were on a list and we were the next ones on the list, so they called us up to offer us a child. It didn't really make any sense, but apparently there was an extreme shortage of adoptive parents and an overload of babies, so they just handed over a little girl to us because she needed a family immediately. It didn't matter that we weren't approved yet. She was about 2 years old. I felt so unprepared! We didn't have a crib, so I laid her on the couch. For her to be 2 years old, she was much like a baby. I left her there on the couch, because I needed to  do something important in another room. I came back to see that she'd fallen off and was laying still, face down on the floor! I was terrified! This happened a few times. Each time, I was frantic trying to see if she was okay. I felt like a horrible mother! She was always fine, even though it seemed like a life or death situation every time. Then it was time to go to Church and we didn't have a stroller to push her there. I looked around to see what we could use and all of a sudden one appeared - my sister-in-law had given it to me. Everything was fine as we pushed our daughter to Church. When we got there, it was a really huge building and really dark - all the lights were off when we got inside, but the sun was shining in through the windows and everyone there was going crazy over us having a little girl. I felt like I fit in and was comfortable and happy. I kept glancing up at the sunlight shining in.

I woke up thinking it was funny that my little girl had hair that kind of looked like Afro Samurai:

Photo: www.gamestop.com

I'm always trying to interpret my dreams when I wake up.

What I took away from the dream was that I'll never really feel fully prepared to be a parent, no matter how many people I talk to or books I read or whatever. No matter how long I wait to be a parent, when the time comes - it will probably feel like it's a little too soon, like someone is just handing a baby over to us all of a sudden. I'll make mistakes as a parent, especially the first time through. And it may feel like life or death, but it won't be. I'll probably be overly protective, and worry over every little thing I "mess up" on. But even when I don't feel like I measure up as a mother, my child will turn out just fine. I'll have a support system, including my brother and sister-in-law and all their family. They'll help me when I need it (with magically appearing strollers! ha ha). And when I take my child to Church, I'll feel comfortable and know that's where I should be and that I was meant to be a mother. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

I think I put a good spin on it!

Zay's had dreams too, but he never goes into much detail when he tells me about them. He's had one where he's seen a little girl named Nevaeh who was really dark-skinned and beautiful. That was back before we really discussed adoption, so it's interesting that she was so dark-skinned - if we actually made our own biological babies, chances are they wouldn't be that dark. Sounds like foreshadowing to me! He also had another dream about a boy named Michael. Nevaeh and Michael are both names that we added to the Baby Names List a long time ago, so it was interesting to hear that he'd dreamed of what they could possibly look like.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog