Thursday, November 18, 2010

Becoming an Adoption Ally


Adopting a child is a huge undertaking. We didn't know what to expect starting off. We still don't know what to expect! Originally I thought it would be something that we would have to endure to become parents. I knew it would be hard...an emotional rollercoaster. And I wished it didn't have to be so difficult. I didn't know if we would be able to handle the ups and downs. I thought we would suffer through infertility and adoption plans alone, and I braced myself for the silent suffering to come. I had no idea how passionate I would come to feel about it and that there is such a huge "adoption community" out there ready to embrace us and let us know that we are supported in our choice. I have met soooo many people online and IRL ("in real life" lol) who have been there or are going through the exact same things that we are. The support is amazing and I feel such a huge burden lifted off my shoulders.

It's going to be easier than I thought to make adoption "normal" for our family. Especially in Utah. Adoption is a big deal here, and ever since we decided to adopt it seems like half the people we knew suddenly were opening up and saying that they were adopted or were planning to adopt or had adopted siblings, etc. Everyone seems to have an adoption story! Who knew? People should talk about this more! The children that we will have through adoption will be able to mingle with all kinds of families... families brought together in many different ways... and they will see that "family" doesn't have to mean blood-related. "Family" can look differently from each other and still be family. I love it.

November is National Adoption Month (CLICK HERE to see the Presidential Proclamation about it). Other bloggers are making a goal to write a post every day of this month about adoption and how it has touched their lives. How amazing is that? I didn't make that promise because I knew I wouldn't be able to live up to it! But it's been really great to read so many stories from other bloggers. They inspire me. :)

The National Council For Adoption (NCFA) is an awesome source to keep up with what is happening in the national adoption community. They have an option on their website to "Become an Adoption Ally" where you can learn about current adoption news and how you can continue to support adoption in your area. You can sign up to receive emails about certain topics, such as foster care or international adoption. It's a small way that we can all get involved in promoting adoption this month!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog