Sunday, January 16, 2011

"It Happens To Everyone..."

 Photo: www.zazzle.com

There's nothing that irks me more than people saying stupid, generalized things. Which is ironic/hypocritical, because I say stupid, generalized things all the time. Blah. I'm trying to get better at that and I think I am! Not that I'm going to say any less stupid or generalized things (there's no controlling this mouth sometimes)... but I'm working on not holding it against people as much anymore. That's a step in the right direction, I think.

Anyways, I overheard a girl talking about going to the doctor because she's newly pregnant. Another girl said, "Well, that's exciting! I mean, it happens to everyone. But it's still exciting." Lol. My old self (or myself on bad days) would've gotten all bitter and pissed that she would dismiss such an amazing thing as something that just "happens to everyone"... and I would get that whole "poor, pitiful me" attitude because it doesn't happen for everyone. But instead, I actually didn't even think about myself - I thought about the pregnant girl and how it was pretty stupid of the one girl to downgrade how exciting it was. She's pregnant! She has a right to be crazy excited! As much as I hate people getting excited about their pregnancies sometimes, in reality it's just because it IS EXCITING!!!!!! and I wish I were them. Lol.

My reaction was just kind of a chuckle under my breath. "Wow, what a dumb thing to say to that poor pregnant girl." But I knew that it wasn't the worst thing she could've said. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've said much worse. I don't have to take offense to everything everyone says. But I can laugh at it!

I can tell my attitude is changing, because I felt a whole lot better in Church today than I have previously.

I'm infertile. And I have finally grown a backbone. :) I'm not so easily offended, I'm much more confidant in my life and who I am (I'm not defined by my infertility), I find the humor in things people say, and I'm not such a wuss. *pats myself on the back*





3 comments:

  1. I just love you. I can't believe that chick said it happens to everyone. Is she really that ignorant? Even though I struggle with the whole getting pregnant thing, I'm still super excited for others. And am freaking jealous. Hahaha. Maybe we get so excited about it because we realize how much of a MIRACLE it really is! Because it DOESN'T happen to everyone. And that person is growing a BABY! That's something to be excited about if you ask me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who is going through a trial with her newborn. She acts all apologetic about being upset. She says she should just be grateful that she has a mostly healthy baby. I admit I get annoyed/hurt by people who have babies, but that doesn't mean she isn't going through a hard thing. It's difficult to explain to people how you can have bitterness and still have sympathy and excitement too. I'm glad you're do though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brianne - I think sometimes people say things without thinking, so I try to not hold it against them. But I'll be the first to talk about the stupid thing that they said! Ha ha. So wrong.

    @Christie - It's a delicate thing to navigate, that's for sure. Too many emotions! I think I can much more easily be happy for other people now that we're having some success with adoption plans. It was crazy hard before.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog