Saturday, April 16, 2011

"You're So Lucky! You Didn't Have to Give Birth!"

Kal at 2 weeks old

Among the many "Congratulations!" and "Oh my gosh, he's so cute!" comments after bringing home our amazing little fella... there are also comments that make me laugh, or even make me squirm a little.

I like watching people stumble over their words when they want to ask about Kal's ethnicity. "So...ummm, what is... *ahem*... he? Uhh... his parents... I mean, where? Ummm?" Ha ha ha. The question is "What is his race/ethnicity?" Come on, people! How in any way could you insult me by asking about his race? People are weird. He's half African American and half Caucasian (if I have to be all proper about things)... or you know, black and white. I usually have to cut off the stuttering people and spit out the information, because it's kind of embarrassing to watch them struggle with political correctness. Ha ha.

A lady came to my door trying to sell baked goods to raise some money. I felt generous, so I talked to her for a little bit and got some cinnamon rolls out of the deal. She was super excited when she saw our newborn and had lots of questions to ask. I told her about adopting him from Georgia and she immediately asked, "Oh! His mom wasn't one of those...crackheads or anything, was she??" Ha ha ha ha! Wow, even if Kal's birthmom had had issues with drugs (which she didn't!), what kind of a person would I be if I just went around telling random people about her problems?! Ha! I just laughed at the lady and shook my head.

When we were going through the airport to come back to Utah with Kal, one of the security ladies was fawning all over Kal and asked how old he was. When I said he was 1 1/2 weeks old, she was like, "Girrrrl!! I wish my stomach looked that good after giving birth!" Ha ha ha. I've gotten that quite a bit, actually. I usually laugh and tell them that we adopted him, but I might just have to start taking the compliment and say, "Thanks! I know, right?! I'm awesome!" Ha ha.

I've also gotten the, "Wow - you're so lucky" comments. And at first I thought, "Dang right I'm lucky! Look at this little guy! Lucky doesn't even begin to describe how blessed we are to finally start our family with this beautiful child." But then I got the comment, "Wow - you're so lucky you didn't even have to go through labor or give birth or anything." Hmmmmmm.... Like the stork just dropped him on our doorstep, or we chose him from a catalog and went and picked him up. Uhhhh, no. That's not how it happened at all... it was emotional torture. AND, for crying out loud, I "didn't have to give birth" - no, I "didn't get to give birth." There's a huge difference.....

But, you know... I'm so over the infertility thing! ;)

Adoption rules! :)





4 comments:

  1. Alice Anne, YOU rule!

    And yeah, you should totally take the whole "you look great" thing and run with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe after I adopt like 7 kids, I'll start accepting the compliments... "You've had 7 kids?! You look great!" Yeah, by that point I'll definitely just take the compliment. Ha ha. What's funny is when people would say, "You don't even look that bad for having just had a baby!" That's when I'm like.... uhhh, was that a compliment? Ha ha. I don't look "that bad"... ??

      Delete
  2. I love how positive you are about everything! And my mother reminds me that all the suffering makes all the joy that much greater! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to stay positive. ;)

      You reminded me of one of my favorite Scriptures: "Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy." -- Alma 36:21

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog