Sunday, September 11, 2011

10th Anniversary of 9/11 - Where Were You When 9/11 Took Place?

Photo: www.september11news.com

10 years ago...

I was just about to turn 16. I was in the 10th grade. It was 11 days before Zay and I started dating. I was driving/riding in Driver's Ed, I can't remember which. My teacher was Coach Eubanks. He was such a nice guy... super relaxed and just really calm. He had the radio on and the reports started coming in that a plane had run into one of the twin towers in New York. My first thought was, "What an idiot. How did someone manage to hit a building?" My second thought was, "I don't even know what the twin towers are..."

We headed back to the school and the rest of the day was spent watching the news reports. I felt so disconnected to what was happening. I really didn't understand the magnitude of it. A lot of students just wanted to know if we were gonna get days off from school because of it.

The older I get, the more the stories surrounding the attacks on 9/11 touch me, inspire me, devastate me, horrify me. They make me feel closer to my country, closer to my God. I wonder who I would've been had I been there that day - a hero? ...a looter? ...a runner/screamer? ...a jumper?

It's still hard to believe that we were "caught slipping," as Zay would say. How could we let something like that happen?

I love that it brought us closer together as a people, even if only for a short period of time. We forget, though. We go back to our arrogant, immoral ways and forget that we once put God first. I worry about where we're headed as a country... and if anybody really has the guts to stand up for what's right anymore? With God on our side, we can do anything... but I fear the day when the majority of us turn our back on Him.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog