Thursday, August 9, 2012

Summer 2012 and Future Plans

I went on a deleting rampage recently, with blogs that I read and Facebook friends. Ha ha. I think I was just reading about too many people's lives, the majority being people I don't know in real life or ever hang out with, etc. etc. etc., so I needed to do some deep cleaning of my social-networking life. In general, I'm starting to want to pull away completely from online social-networking, because I can easily waste a lot of time and go off on tangents. It's entertaining, for sure. And if used the right way, it can be very useful. But I don't use it in moderation, so I'm working on that. And sometimes I inadvertently compare myself to other people and I get all discouraged about something that doesn't even matter (comparison is the root of depression!). Anyways, I'd rather live in the real world. But I'm still addicted, so I'm trying to figure that out. If I didn't have to take so many appointments to do people's hair, I wouldn't even want to have a cell phone. At least not a smartphone with Internet access. I should downgrade.

My real life consists of doing hair (I found a new source of clientele - girls who ZUMBA like getting cornrows! so that's been fun, experimenting with fun designs in their hair), swimming in our apartment complex's indoor pool, hiking as part of my training for the Tough Mudder obstacle course race in October that I'm signed up for (and sooooo excited about!), reading a million library books, writing poetry, working on Kal's Lifebook, taking Kal to the library's storytime and mommy groups and birthday parties, learning Japanese with RosettaStone (in preparation for our anticipated move to Japan in a few years), teaching the 10- and 11-year-old's Sunday School class at Church, weekly date nights with the hubby, and keeping up on all my favorite shows on Netflix/Hulu. Ever since I quit my job to stay home with Kal, I feel like I've been on one big summer vacation. I'm loving it! I'm so busy all the time (a good kind of busy), I don't know how I ever got anything done while I was working! Seriously, it blows my mind. There is too much life to live to be stuck at work and in commute 8+ hours a day for the rest of my life. Working for a living sucks! Money has to be made, though. So it's a balancing act.

I love the time I get to spend with Kal. We've got a nice little routine going and I feel super motivated and productive and happy. We went on a family walk in July and talked about future adoption plans (again - we talk about it a lot). The money thing seems like it will always be an issue, but we've done an overhaul on our finances and the way we budget and track our expenses and we've found ways to make more money + save more money. That was one of the things on my huge list of "Things to do before Baby #2," so I'm glad we made progress there. There are still other things to cross off the list and we're making progress, although there are some things that are out of my control, like waiting for Kal's birth certificate to come in the mail, if that'll ever happen (so annoying).

The timing of adding another child to our family just doesn't add up perfectly in our minds the way it did for me when we were trying to adopt Kal. But surprisingly, Zay is more on board about adoption and more ready for Baby #2 than I am! What a shock!! (He was the reluctant spouse last time.)The more I think about it, the more I think it will never settle down enough to feel perfect. There was an Adoption Orientation meeting in June that we were planning on going to, but at the last minute decided against it. But we're thinking of just saying, "What the heck?" and going for it and seeing what happens. I don't know.

There are still things to do and there is money to be saved and we're in a really transitional period of time (adjusting to me not having a job outside the home and wondering whether that was a mistake or not, Zay starting school in the Fall and taking on that extra responsibility, we'll be moving to a smaller and cheaper place soon after he starts school, etc. etc. etc.). But honestly, we don't think things are going to "settle down" for quite awhile... at least not in the foreseeable future. So why not add another child to our family? It's gonna be crazy without a second child, so let's just make it even crazier! We're good with crazy. So, although the same feeling of urgency isn't there, we're still gonna move forward with it and we'll see what happens. :)





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog