Thursday, October 4, 2012

Know Your Audience

Photo: www.wikipedia.com
Most of the time, I feel like I'm talking to Wilson from the movie Castaway...


As a writer, one of the number one rules before you even begin writing is to know to whom you are writing...

As a blogger, I have absolutely no idea who my audience is. And that makes it difficult to word things sometimes. It's difficult to focus and to form a voice. I know I am ALL over the place! Plus, I only recently got into a rhythm of posting regularly (once a week for now, but I'm hoping to up it to twice a week or more).

Up until this point, I imagine different people reading it. I imagine writing in my journal... writing to myself (but sometimes it's scary being in this head of mine... I can feel my words echoing around in my brain). Or I imagine I'm writing a school paper. Or I imagine I'm writing to my close friends, close family, extended family, Kal's birth family, the adoption community, someone who has no knowledge of adoption, young moms, the infertile community, LDS people, non-LDS people, random passers-by, etc., etc., etc.... I focus my writing towards whatever group of people come to mind at the time. So, I don't think I'm very consistent.

I know I have followers. I see the stats. I know people stop by and read about my nonsense. And other than a few of my friends who comment regularly (you know who you are), emails I get, or my Facebook peeps or friends in-real-life who talk to me about my blog, I have no idea who reads this! I haven't really promoted this blog and I haven't intended to make any money off of it up until this point. I just do this for fun/therapy. And it would be nice to meet you guys...

So, who are my stalkers? Introduce yourselves! Tell me if you have a blog, so I can check it out and maybe we can be mutual stalkers. I love reading other people's stories, so I might just get hooked! Tell me how you found me in my little corner of the Interwebs. Tell me how we're connected. Do we have mutual friends? If you're a loud and proud stalker, "Like" the Facebook Fan Page! If you want to stay an anonymous stalker, that's cool too. But you can still post a quick comment as a guest and tell me something... anything. I want to know my audience!

You guys are awesome, I can feel it. I know you won't disappoint! :)

Comment/Connect away!





6 comments:

  1. I hope you know who I am and how we met. Lol. I stalk you all the time. I dont have a blog, but you can always call me if you want to know what is going on with me. Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I have ONE stalker! Ha ha ha. I should write everything with you in mind! Thanks for checking in on me. I know you've got your hands FULL with two babies. If you had a blog, I'd stalk it. Ha ha. What are friends for? Sorry I'm not much of a phone talker. You'd think I'd be... cuz I don't stop talking in real life, lol.

      Delete
  2. I stop by every now and then, and my main message that I get from this blog is: You are an amazing mom!

    Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and feelings. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! I try really hard, ha ha ha. Ooh - you have a blog! I'll have to check it out. :)

      Delete
  3. I am not a stalker but new here thanks to the comment you left on my Gratitude sign post :) And yes it is an interesting thing blogging knowing that really anyone can read it. But I love having that outlet, that place to write and I just try and remain real to who I am and not be too boring and it all seems to work out :)

    Happy to "meet" you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point. I remember hearing a quote once about "blogging unapologetically" and just being yourself and that's what I normally do. Lately I just had an identity crisis in my writing and wondered who was out there in bloggy-land. Ha ha. I follow you! I tend to go weeks without getting on my Google Reader and then I play catch-up all at once, so I normally don't comment. But everyone loves comment-love! Plus, I just had to say what a cute idea that was with the gratitude sign!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog