Thursday, October 11, 2012

Storytime at the Library

There was a very animated story-time leader that day. :)

One of the first suggestions I got when I made the switch to stay-at-home mommyhood was to check out the library and see what resources they had to keep Kal entertained/engaged. We started going to storytime 3 days a week for most of the summer. It's only about 20 minutes, but they sing nursery rhymes and read books out loud and have puppet shows and have the kids jumping up and down and being silly. It's awesome. Kal sits on my lap and flips the pages of books and I just keep hoping I can instill a love of reading in him as he gets older.
Cruising around. This was before he learned to walk. He always found a way to get around.

Patiently waiting for the storytime leader to start.

I could do the same exact things at home, but I honestly do not know half the nursery rhymes that these moms are doing with their kids. So, I feel like I'm learning new cute little games to play with Kal every time I bring him. Plus, it's always good to get out of the house. I try to spend the least amount of time in the house as possible! And Kal loves interacting with other kids, especially older kids. So he has a blast. PLUS, I am exhausted after playing with Kal for hours on end, so it's super nice to have somebody else entertain him... even if it's just for 20 minutes! Give mama a break, please! Ha ha.
Exploring after storytime, afraid to let go of the table.

He still prefers playing ball to books, but that's ok... Don't you dig his tie-dye onesie? Ha ha ha.

I've been taking advantage of the library for myself too. I used to be known as a bookworm, but I haven't picked up a book to read just for fun in ages. Kal's naptime is now my get-as-much-reading-in-as-possible time. It's been friggin' awesome. My favorite things to read right now are philosophy books... Plato, Aristotle, St. Augustine, etc. And dystopia books (like The Hunger Games). And world religion books ("This is My God," "Anthology of World Scriptures," etc.). I feel very indulgent that I get to spend so much time leisurely reading and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I'll be very sad when life gets too busy to read as much again!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog