Sunday, November 11, 2012

Complimenting Someone's Weight Loss

Girls like to hear variations of the compliment, "You've lost weight!" ... Most of the time, you can't go wrong complimenting a woman by telling her she looks extra slim/thin or skinnier than usual. (I'm not here to comment on how/why that's wrong and that women shouldn't be so focused on weight, etc. etc. etc. That's a given.) It's engrained in our society, and women like to hear it. But somehow, people seem to butcher this "compliment" in reference to me.

For most of my life, I've always been they super skinny girl. I got made fun of for not... ummm... developing as fast as some of my friends (I heard the term "mosquito bites" a lot). And for having knobby knees. And chicken legs. I got called anorexic and was asked if I was on drugs because I was so pale and skinny. Ouch! Acne didn't help me any either, by the way. Have mercy.

Then I got married and went to college. I got up to *almost* 170lbs when I was going to school. It crept up on me because I was so focused on getting A's and excelling in my schoolwork. I spent many, many nights in the Tanner Building on BYU campus, eating pizza and working on team projects until midnight when they would kick us out.

I even have a picture! Ha ha. I have this thing about photographing food... *shrugs*

Ahhhh, the days of computer programming late, late, late into the night. *Memories!*

I graduated, and then I saw THIS picture of myself and knew I couldn't keep going the way I was going.


I mean, it wasn't horrible. But it wasn't me. Not at all. And for some reason, that picture kicked my butt in gear. I wanted to be in shape for my future kids... to be able to play with them without being winded, and to not embarrass them in front of their friends. And when I was trying to get pregnant, weight loss was recommended as part of battling my infertility.

I started eating right and exercising. I put myself as a priority. My confidence/happiness slowly built back up. Now I'm excited about exercising and on the verge of becoming a vegetarian (I've gone without beef or pork since I was 12, but I'm inching closer to a complete conversion now). I eliminated soda... I'll never drink it again. Simple as that. I did P90X, Wii Fit, Dance Central, Zumba, hiking, jogging, etc. I lost 40lbs. I trained for the Tough Mudder and totally rocked it! I didn't do any tricks or diets or shortcuts... just made better choices in the long run. I made positive changes in the way I thought about food and exercising. My husband jumped on board and started working out a ton with me (I LOVED THAT) and he lost 100lbs. Bonus! It felt awesome getting in shape together. Who doesn't wanna get sweaty with their husband? ;)

He's looking pretty fabulous, I might add. :D

Being healthy feels great! Feeling good physically helps you to feel good mentally & emotionally too. I have all kinds of energy. I love feeling this way and I try to encourage others to get their butts off the couch too. ;) Life is much better spent when you're up and running around and being silly, trust me.

What's funny, though... is that people who haven't seen me in awhile have tried to comment on my weight loss. And... bless their hearts... they do a terrible job. A couple comments that I can remember:

"Man, the last time I saw you... you were like 100lbs heavier! And quiet. You must've had low self-esteem."

"I think you used to do my hair. But I don't know. You look different. Did you lose a lot of weight? Cuz you were much heavier." (uses his arms to demonstrate "heavier")

Wow. That's embarrassing! I wasn't even that heavy, come on! Lol. Comments like those make me think, Dang - I must've been a whale!

Tact, people. Use a little tact. Thanks. :)

I don't have an "official" after picture yet (I hardly get pics of myself since I'm the one with the camera around my neck), but I searched around and this one's pretty cute:








Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog