Tuesday, November 13, 2012

When the Government Owes You Money...

They take their precious time. :)

We're still waiting on our federal tax refund to show up. I hired a financial adviser to help me with the Adoption Tax Credit, and he doesn't get paid until we get paid... so he's been checking in with the IRS regularly. They say they process refunds that claim the Adoption Tax Credit within 6-12 weeks. It's been more like 14, 15... I'm losing count!

I'm told it should be "any day now." I hate hearing that, because I interpret it as "any second now" and I will literally check my bank account 10 times a day. Lol.

Ideally, I don't want to use any of our day-to-day funds to finance this second adoption. I don't know how we scraped up the money the first time around, but I guess my fancy financial footwork got us through. This time, I'm counting on that money in order to even be able to do this. Adoption can be expensive, and it would be worth it - but I'm not going into debt to do it. Although, if that money doesn't show up by the end of November, I might have to break out some of my old fancy financial footwork again to make it happen. Somehow, I WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Part of me thinks I should hold some big fundraiser like some friends of mine have done to raise the money for their adoptions. I could do it and it would be fun to pull off some big event. But at the same time, I think... we will have the money. I just need to be patient. I guess I don't think it would be fair to ask for money. *shrugs*

Anyway, we haven't paid the first fee yet, mostly because I didn't want to have to pull the $1,000 from any other source. I keep hoping the refund will show up... ANY SECOND NOW.  At this rate, we won't be approved by the end of the year. And that makes me sad. But it's ok. We'll just keep chugging along and we'll still be approved way faster than last time. Of course, when I want to do things fast, things go slowly. :)

We had some other interruptions as well. Since we moved recently and changed Bishops, the agency decided they wanted our previous Bishop's endorsement as well, so we had to get that. He gives us his full blessing to move forward. :) Then we had a trip home to Georgia for a couple weeks and when we got back, they rearranged caseworkers because someone had quit and caseloads were being divvied up. So, we got reassigned to a new caseworker and had to go in and meet her and go over some things that we'd already gone over twice before. Big sigh...

But I think this will be a blessing. Our new caseworker is super nice and I immediately liked her a lot and can see us all getting along very well throughout this process. That always makes me feel good when I'm comfortable with a caseworker. :) She's our advocate through all this! We are now officially "eligible to adopt."

So, NEXT STEPS: Check bank account every hour on the hour until that money shows up. Pay the initial non-refundable fee of $1,000. Continue filling out the folder full of paperwork our new caseworker gave us. Part of that paperwork is a background check and general physical exams we'll have to get done. Since we got finger-printed last time, I don't think we'll have to do that part again, so that'll be nice - one less thing. Reference letters are being sent out to our character references - 1 family member and 3 personal references - that will have to be filled out and returned. We have some really good friends that I am very, very thankful for (who know us well (good and bad) and love us anyway! and would recommend us! woot! woot!). :) Anyway, things should be moving along soon... we're just in another "wait" period in the "hurry up and wait" rollercoaster that is adoption!

The lovely packet of adoption paperwork. :)






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog