Sunday, December 23, 2012

Festivus 2012

I think this story will give you a little glimpse into my personality, lol... I was making a spreadsheet of all the holidays throughout the year I thought are necessary or fun to celebrate. YES, a spreadsheet. There are just way too many holidays and birthdays and whatnot to keep track of, seriously. I need a dang spreadsheet. The part of me that wants to be all "super domestic diva" wants to always have a party in the works and always know what's coming up next (so I can be prepared for it). 

I've been absolutely terrible at buying gifts... every single time... for any occasion. And it's because I just forget about stuff until the last minute. But at the same time, I love to celebrate anything and everything... so I keep wasting all these good opportunities because I haven't been organized. So, I was spreadsheet-ing it. I looked at a bunch of lists of holidays online. One list had Festivus on it and I giggled to myself and thought, Definitely!

Seinfeld has always been my all-time favorite show. When I was a kid, it was kind of my escape. It was a type of humor I was never exposed to and I loved it. Half of it I didn't get when I was young, because they were New Yorkers and lived an entirely different life than me, but that was the appeal. The humor grew on me. I was nervous that Zay wouldn't like Seinfeld when we first got together (I was nervous to introduce him to The Office, too!) but he got it immediately. For years we've played Seinfeld in the background while we're doing other things. We sometimes turn it on before going to bed and let it play all night.

Festivus is a made-up holiday on Seinfeld. George's dad made their family celebrate it as an anti-materialism stand against the Christmas holidays. There was a simple meal... something like spaghetti or meatloaf with red sauce. An unadorned pole rather than a Christmas tree ("I find tinsel distracting." -- Mr. Costanza). The "airing of grievances" around the dinner table - gathering all your friends and family together to tell them how much they've disappointed you over the past year - rather than expressing your gratitude ("I got a lot of problems with you people! And now you're gonna hear about it!"). And the "feats of strength," which are never really explained in the episode, but it is mentioned that Festivus isn't over until the head of household is pinned to the ground (I figured this is open to interpretation - FUN!).

Festivus went immediately on the spreadsheet. Lol. And this year we got a few friends together to celebrate the awesomeness that is Seinfeld and eat some Seinfeld-inspired foods. (Did you know how many times specific foods are mentioned in the Seinfeld series?! I had a lot of foods to choose from! Here's a list.)

Got the guys frosting the cookies. SO CUTE!

Seinfeld reference: The Big Salad. "She didn't buy the big salad. I bought the big salad... She just took credit for my salad!" -- George Costanza

Seinfeld reference: Poppyseed Muffins. "You tested positive for opium...White lotus, Yam-yam, Shanghai Sally." - J. Peterman, Elaine's boss

I went with spaghetti. :)

I was so proud of these slow-cooked turkey meatballs. SO GOOD!

Seinfeld reference: Junior Mints. "Who's gonna turn down a Junior Mint? It's chocolate, it's peppermint; it's delicious!" -- Kramer

Seinfeld reference: The black and white cookie. "Two races of flavor living side by side in harmony. It's a wonderful thing, isn't it?" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Seinfeld reference: Dip. "You double-dipped the chip!... You dipped the chip. You took a bite, and you dipped again." -- Timmy, at a party with George Costanza

Feats of Strength: Thumb Wrestling

Feats of Strength: Arm Wrestling

Feats of Strength: Leg Wrestling

Seinfeld reference: "These pretzels... are making me THIRSTY!" -- George Costanza

Wielding the Festivus Pole. It just sat in the corner most of the night, but then we used it for Stick Pull in the Feats of Strength.

The day's first attempt at garlic bread. Ummmm, that broiler got hot FAST!

Me, rectifying the burnt garlic bread situation. :)

We set the TV up right at the table to get the most out of the Seinfeld-watching.
 
The Airing of Grievances could've been dangerous, but we kept it lighthearted and then didn't even get all the way around the table because we were just laughing and talking.

At the end of the night, everyone refused to try to pin Zay, the head of household. No one had the guts. But I'm totally not intimidated by him. So I used my best wrestling moves and tried to "Rock Bottom" him and then I did the "People's Elbow" and pinned him. He totally let me. Ha ha. I win!

Definitely doing Festivus next year!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog