The question this month is: What is your favorite quotation?
Well, there are lots of quotes I absolutely love. I don't even know how to pick just one favorite. Just look over there on my sidebar --> where I keep track of awesome quotes I hear that mean something to me (or Zay) throughout our adoption and parenting journey. I add to it all the time.
If I had to highlight just one, I would go with the one that has driven me lately:
"Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home." -- Julie B. Beck, BYU Women's Conference (talk is found HERE)
|"Modern-day Mother in Zion" |
It surprises me how much the world will try to tear at your family. When I was young and naive, I thought you get married and you live happily ever after in a state of safety and bliss. Ha ha. Not so.
People don't always value your marriage/family as much as you do.
People don't always value the time you spend with your family like you do.
There are many "intruders" that can try to seep into your home and family and break it down or distract you:
- Outside responsibilities that intrude upon your time with family, including important things like work and school
- Addictions (drugs, alcohol, pornography, food, *technology,* etc.) that eat away at your ability to be present in your family
- "Friends" who do not uplift you or encourage you to be your best self or take up too much of your time
- Over-scheduling and participating in too many "good" things, including Church
- Toxic emotions, including insecurity, jealousy, or discouragement from comparing your family to others
- Listening to marriage cynics who don't understand the importance of and the happiness that can be found in marriage
- Falling victim to "Mommy Wars" - women attacking other women for their choices in child bearing and rearing
- Uncontrolled mental health issues (depression, anxiety, etc.)
- Infidelity - not keeping a close watch on your mind and heart, allowing yourself to be in sketchy situations
- Ex's, or unresolved/lingering past relationships
- Extended family who are an unnecessary burden on you
- Selfishness, laziness, impatience, uncontrolled temper, etc. etc. etc.
- Anything that contributes to loss of faith and not relying on the Lord
"Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home."
What threats against marriage and the family have you seen lately?