Tuesday, March 26, 2013

60-Day Hiking Challenge: Hitting a Wall

When I started hiking, I had a goal in mind: I wanted to be able to jog up the "Y" trail.

I reached that goal. :)

I think my best time was 42 minutes to get up to the top and back down to my car.

Most of the time I had Kal with me, and he didn't learn to walk on his own until that August. So I carried him. It was exhausting, but I was super motivated. People would stop me and tell me that I was an inspiration to them - I even took a picture with several different people because they asked. I just laughed and jumped in the picture. This was all for myself, not for others. I needed this. Inspiring others wasn't my intent, but I'll take it. :)

It was hot. The sun was amazing. I love the summer and I love the heat. Kal and I had many quiet moments to bond. We were attached at the hip, literally.

Most of the people I met while hiking were amazing and I had so much fun meeting different people and finding out the reasons why they were out on that trail that day. Old people, students, huge families. Daily hikers like myself.

I got questions like, "You trying to work off that baby weight?" I laughed and said, "Sure." And I'd spend time thinking about infertility and what it means to me. And how I don't have "baby weight" and may never have to worry about dropping pounds after giving birth.

I (finally) got questions about whether Kal was adopted. Probably because he got so dark that summer, out in the sun. I talked about it, but only if people didn't assume he was adopted. I like to make people feel stupid when they make assumptions... I don't know if that's a cute personality trait or a mean character flaw, ha ha. One girl straight up said, "Oh! Where did you get him from?" And I said, "From my uterus," and gave her a glare. She stumbled all over her words and tried to explain herself - something about her sister or friend or whoever that was trying to adopt. It was amusing.

Another reason for the hiking was that I wanted to get as fit as I could before trying to do the Tough Mudder obstacle course race. In my mind, it represented something to me... Overcoming an obstacle. Knowing I am strong and can accomplish hard things. I wanted to teach myself to stick it out, not be a victim, and prove to myself that I wasn't as weak as I had taught myself that I was over the years. That I deserve good things.

None of that may make sense to anyone but me, but I kept hiking everyday until I couldn't anymore. I held onto those thoughts and pushed myself to keep going, even if it meant I was doing it alone.

It was worth every second of it.

I made it to Day 44 of 60. That was my wall. That was my limit. It discouraged me for awhile, but life had taken over and I knew I had accomplished what I came there to accomplish.

Hiking Day 43. I spent these last two hiking days at Rock Canyon. We saw these deer feeding on the mountainside.

Rock climbers.

Hiking Day 44. Last day.

Watching a guy climb without any safety gear. I didn't get a picture of him, but I think those kind of people are nuts.











He is clinging to me like he's gonna fall, lol!






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog