Sunday, June 16, 2013

"Man of Steel" Weekend

"You're not just anyone. One day you're going to have to make a choice. You have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be. Whoever that man is, good character or bad, he's going to change the world." -- Jonathan Kent, Man of Steel

HOW EPIC WAS THAT MOVIE?!

We've been looking forward to the new Superman for... I don't know... over 2 years now! Lol. And it definitely lived up to our expectations and laid the foundation for a series that has been sorely needed. Christopher Reeve did an amazing job in his time, but it's been over 30 years. THIRTY YEARS. And I'm just gonna say now that Superman Returns doesn't count. It felt like a remake of the Christopher Reeve movies and was super generic and didn't do anything for me other than the airplane crash scene (which was AWESOME and saved the whole movie)... Okay, that was harsh - I really enjoyed Superman Returns, but he doesn't fight anybody and I wanna see Superman punch somebody in the face.

I love Superman comics. Some of the newer ones, like Allstar Superman, are just written so well. I love comic book story-telling and Man of Steel felt like it was straight from the comic books.

Something occurred to me the other day. When I was a kid, my little brother and I would argue about which of us was the "main character" in this world... this life. Like... if this life were a book, it would be told in my voice. Does that even make any sense? Ha ha. When I write it out like that, it doesn't make as much sense as it did in our heads. But anyway, I am the main character - duh! I'd argue. This world is from MY point of view, about ME. It's so obvious. Lol. We would just laugh and tease each other about whose point of view this story of Earth life was being told from.

Well, now that I'm all grown up... that thought came back to me while I was thinking about Kal and how this is his childhood. I am very aware now that I am NOT the main character. HE is. The world revolves around HIM. I try to view things from his point-of-view, wondering how he perceives things, wondering what he's thinking about. All I can do is speculate before he can talk and tell me what's going on in that head of his. What kind of world am I creating for him? What does he see? What does he feel? Is he happy? I try to imagine the world through his eyes. Right now, this is all he knows. Am I doing enough to create a happy childhood for him? Am I teaching him all I can at this stage of his life? What more could I offer as a mom? Does he have enough structure? Enough freedom? Does he feel our love for him enough? Does he recognize the Spirit when it's in our home? Is this life a magical place for him?

A lot of people have something that makes them feel like this world is a magical place. For him right now, it's totally Superman. And I love that. :)

We went to the movies 3 times this weekend. Brought Kal twice. He did terrible (lol - well, he is only 2 years old) and we'll probably wait a few more years before we try that again. BUT, he did have a lot of fun when he didn't have to sit still. For example, he totally heard the music from the Man of Steel trailer (it had to be 100 feet from where we were standing in line before the movie started) and he RAN across the theater... full speed... pointing at the screen and cheering. Ha ha. I was laughing and chasing him and trying to pull out my phone camera at the same time. He just kills me! Lol.

It was a great weekend. :)






Tried a new sandwich place.

Watched old Superman movies all day outside the theater that first day.

What Kal likes to wear around the house. :)

It's no wonder Kal has the trailer memorized, he's seen it more times than Yo Gabba Gabba!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog