Sunday, August 18, 2013

Owl Birthday Cake

I don't know why I've gravitated towards making fun themed cakes for parties and birthdays and such, but I LOVE IT. It's so fun to be creative like that. I'm no expert... I still spill and burn all kinds of things at the bottom of my oven and I'm pretty sure I do everything the hard way. But, who cares? I just like making cute food! :)

This is only like the 5th cake I've ever made in my life. But I like doing it so much that I might just have to find more excuses to make cake. And learn some new tips and tricks.

I debated in my head if I wanted to make a squid-shaped cake, a turtle, or an owl (all animals that reminded me of the birthday girl).... owl seemed the easiest at the time. It's my friend (and business partner) Kayla's birthday and she requested Better Than Sex cake. I used this recipe (minus the cool whip) and this owl cake inspiration and went shopping for ingredients.

Some of the ingredients. Totally used a Bugle for the nose because I thought to myself "What's a sugar cone?"... ha ha ha. I figured it out later.


Doing things the hard way.

I made a few adjustments (made it lie flat, didn't shave the chocolate "feathers" on the sides, rice cakes instead of dried pineapple slices, etc.) to make it a little more simple and to incorporate what I had. It was super fun to experiment. :)

I think it turned out pretty cute!! Way better than some of the "rejects" on that same website (like this one or this one)...lol. So, I was proud of myself.





I brought it to Kayla... and sang obnoxiously to her. I started writing a birthday song to the tune of "Baby, One More Time"... but I couldn't get through it. I was laughing too hard.

"Oh, Kayla Kayla
How was I supposed to know?
That it was yo' bir-irth-day?

Oh, Kayla Kayla
I'm making this up as I go
Now it's on my cal-en-dar!"

Wait, that didn't rhyme. LOL.

She didn't want to mess up the cake at first, so we put candles in a piece of bread... and almost caught the table on fire. Ha ha ha.




Happy Birthday, Kayla! I'm glad you were born!






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog