Friday, August 16, 2013

What is "The Fat Squid"?

I briefly mentioned The Fat Squid in a few posts and I wanted to fill you guys in on the very exciting news! :)

My best friend in the whole wide world and I have decided to team up to start our own Etsy shop! Kayla is the creative genius behind a variety of oddball items she loves to sew. We have lots of ideas in the works (including the quirkiest, nature- and Japanese-inspired pillows, handbags, backpacks, stuffed animals, keychains, lap books for kids, etc.).

The most famous is her Giant Squid stuffed animal. This thing is HUGE.

She house-sitted for me once while I was on vacation and she passed her time by sewing (actually, I think it was when Zay and I flew out to meet Kal's birthmother when she was *almost* due - that was an exciting time!). Kayla sent me a text with this picture in it, telling me that there was a Giant Squid on my couch and that my cats were fReAkInG out about it! Ha ha ha...

The Fat Squid Stuffed Animal: Giant Squid

I died laughing! I thought, "This girl is so weird..." But in my heart, I knew I was just as weird as she was (is)... and I knew we were kindred spirits.

For years people have told her that she needs to get her own Etsy shop and sell what she makes, because she is just that good! And the things that inspire her are so unique. But it took my nudging and persuasiveness to get her to have the confidence to OPEN SHOP and show the world her kooky creations. We are slooowwwly filling the shop with squids and eventually other things. If we had all the time in the world to focus on Kayla's brainchild, the shop would be overflowing. BUT, this'll be something that takes a little time to get together.

I seriously don't know where she gets her ideas, but I trust in the silliness that is Kayla's brain. And I will stand by her in her creative pursuits! Especially since we've already had success in a few SOLD squids (seeing something sell is an amazing/exciting motivating feeling!) I want to help make her successful, so that's why I decided to partner with her and make this shop happen!

I'm gonna be learning to SEW, people! This is HUGE! Ha ha ha...

And who wouldn't want a 4-foot giant squid pillow?? (P.S. - we're working on a custom order that's almost double that size - eek!! SO AWESOME!)

Go on over and take a look at the few items already listed in our shop HERE. That'll give you an idea of some of what we're working on. Lots more will be coming soon. Custom orders are way fun to do, too! Each item is handmade with love and attention to detail and an explosion of creativity. Therefore, each item is unique in its own way.

I will be posting updates on what we're doing with this whole small business venture as we go along. Stay tuned. And while you're at it, "like" our Facebook page. :)





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog