Monday, September 9, 2013

The "Empowering Fearless Birth" Event

Well, my friend Kayla and I are getting things rolling with our small business! Woot! Woot!

(I feel like I really need something to go right in my life right now, and so far this project has helped me heal.)

We've been meeting often and working out the details of how to get this thing rolling and have been filling lots of custom orders already. Once we're done with one, we're right onto the next one. I am SO HAPPY that people actually like the idea of having giant squid stuffed animals sitting on their couch/bed, chilling in their apartment, eying you with their big squid eyes, being a conversation piece or a cuddle buddy. Lol.

The Fat Squid

People like them! Yay! College students like them for their dorm rooms, parents like them for their kids, new moms like them for their baby's nursery, anime-lovers like them because omg-a-squid-that's-so-cool-and-weird-I-want-one! Ha ha ha...

We ultimately want to just travel around to different conventions/conferences for things that we like (anime, comic book, birth/adoption, fabric/sewing, blogging, etc.) and sell our stuffed animals as vendors for these events. I've never done anything like this before, she's never done anything like this before. So, we don't know what we're doing! Ha ha. But it's been super fun so far and a huge learning experience.

We're testing the waters this month to see how well we do - we have our first vendor opportunity! It's at an event in Provo called "Empowering Fearless Birth." It's gonna be on Saturday September 21st.

It's totally my scene (I don't know why I love this stuff so much but it's basically all I talk about) - there are classes about health, fertility, prenatal, birth (including some pretty amazing birthing videos), post partum, adoption, etc. (You can register HERE if you'd like to attend! The "All Day w/ Lunch" option is the most popular.)

AND... I'm gonna be on the adoption panel! Eek! I have to sit in front of a group of people and answer questions about adoption!!! Scary! But I'm gonna do it. :)

The Fat Squid will have a booth up and running, ready to take custom orders from all the lovely ladies in attendance (and guys... I'm sure there will be a few guys there) who want a huge crazy stuffed animal to match their decor. I know there's gotta be a few takers for that. Ha ha.

What's awesome about these stuffed animals is that you can pick pretty much any color combination or give us ideas for prints you like and then we get to go fabric shopping for you. It's a win-win, seriously. Right now we're working on a giant squid made from this mermaid print fabric that a customer requested. It's gonna be crazy awesome when we're done with it. She wants it to be super fun and she's already given her squid a name.... Starfish. Omg, those are the best customers right there! Ha ha ha. Hopefully we get quite a few more fun customers at this conference!

I keep thinking of this as the "pregnant lady conference" and although I don't know what it feels like to be pregnant, I know what it feels like to be expecting a child (through adoption)... and that nesting instinct that makes you want to go all out to decorate a nursery. I know my next child's nursery is gonna have a giant squid in it, that's for sure - an "under the sea" theme. IT'S GONNA BE SO AWESOME! Lol.

Hope to see some of my readers and friends at Empowering Fearless Birth! Stop by our booth if you get to go. :)





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog