Sunday, December 15, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Thanksgiving was very... genuine this year. I didn't make a big fuss about it. Didn't create a to-do list. Made a meal and thoroughly enjoyed cooking it. Ate with my little family. Took only a handful of pictures. Lived life in the moment rather than behind the camera lens or trying to "create" a memory. The best memories come about spontaneously... and when you're fully present.

My favorite thing about Thanksgiving this year was bouncing a tennis ball against the side of the house just me, Zay, and Kal... spending the day talking and sneaking more plates off the counter full of food I'd been preparing all morning and the night before. The weather was unusually beautiful for late November in Utah, so we raked and sat outside and enjoyed the sun.

Quiet family moments. Moments when I don't care what anyone else is doing. When my whole world is just the three of us together... in our home, in our yard. No one else exists. I've needed more of those lately. Social media makes me think I need to know what so-and-so is doing on Thanksgiving, but I don't. And you don't really need to know about what we did either. :) Am I right?

I love having a family. I love this moment in time. I'm thankful for all the hardships I've endured (sometimes gracefully and other times not so much) and the people who have contributed positively to my life. I'm grateful for lessons learned. For repentance and progression. For love. Real love that I stumbled upon too young and take for granted regularly. I'm thankful for Kal's birthmother. For motherhood. Even though at times it feels exhausting and all-encompassing. It has changed me. And I am grateful.

Thanksgiving was very, very good. Not Pinterest-worthy. But real-life-worthy.

Waiting for the food.... I knew he would make a mess, so I made sure he had plenty of space to do just that. :)

Some of the food! I made it all myself (I've been practicing!!)... We had jalapeno honey cornbread (Kal got his hands in one of those), pumpkin pie cake (pumpkin pie mixed with yellow cake mix), a orange glazed hen, cranberry sauce (from a can!!), orange juice, green beans and carrots, shells n cheese, Spanish rice, stuffing, cheesy mashed potatoes, and garlic biscuits. I think this will pretty much be our menu each Thanksgiving. I'm gonna tweak it and try to make the recipes better each year.

It was a beautiful day outside!







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog