Sunday, December 15, 2013

Thyroid Update

So, I found out I had hypothyroidism, right? I started taking a medication that basically replaces the hormones that my thyroid isn't making. I don't know why exactly my thyroid isn't working properly, but it isn't... and the medication makes up for it. I started taking a really small dose for about 5 weeks. The day after I started taking it, I immediately felt SO much better than I had been. I really couldn't even believe the difference. I felt so........... stable. Is that the right word? Ha ha. Over those 5 weeks, I felt like I was in control over my emotions. I didn't feel anxious about anything. I didn't get easily overwhelmed with life. I had energy, but not bouncing off the walls like I normally am when I have energy. I even started my period within a week of being on the medication, so that's a good sign for my overall womanly/reproductive health! (I hadn't had one since the end of June).

It made me excited, because I didn't know I could have this much control over how I felt! Emotions have seemed to dominate my life up to this point. I could think so much more clearly. I didn't get as upset or irritated or angry or offended. I was just cool as a cucumber over here. What the heck?! I was super excited because of what this could mean for me.

I started making other changes in my diet and taking appropriate supplements geared towards hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and vitamin D deficiency.

Then I did something silly. I increased my thyroid medication without talking to my doctor. For some reason (I can't recall now), I thought it was the right thing to do. And it wasn't!!! Omg. I didn't notice a difference at first, so I kept going with it. About 3 weeks in I was crawling up the walls. I had to take some melatonin/theanine to put me to sleep because I felt like I was having a panic attack (never really had one of those before, so I didn't recognize it until all I could think about was that I had to get out of my own head!!!). The next day I went back to my old dose... had a shaky, emotional but better day. And then the next day I was perfectly fine and felt great after that.

Geez. I had no idea it could be so finicky.

I'm still feeling really positive about getting treatment for my thyroid, but my last labs were done right near the end of me taking a higher dose (when I shouldn't have)... so I feel like I kind of screwed up the results. The point was to see what my hormones were doing on the original dose. Even still, though... the lab results confused me a little bit. One number that was supposed to increase went down instead. So I'm kind of confused about what my body is doing. I went out of town for a couple weeks and haven't had a chance to set up an appointment with my doctor and get her thoughts on my lab results, so hopefully she can pinpoint exactly what's happening... and forgive me for playing around with my dosage on my own.

Technically everything showed up in the "normal" range, but I doubt my doctor would think that my numbers were normal. The "normal" range doesn't automatically mean the right range, but it does show that the medicine is helping... and I've doubled the Vitamin D in my system so far, so that's good. It'll be some trial and error as we figure this out. But yay for progress!







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog