Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Allergy to Baby Oil

I've learned a lot being a first-time parent. Things I've never had to think about before, suddenly I need to know all about. My formerly selfish life (relatively speaking) is long gone and is now consumed with the care and safety of a mini person, who is completely reliant on me for food, clothing, shelter, and love. That's a lot to get used to! Especially after so many years childless and not interested in babysitting anyone else's children ("snot-nosed children," I'm sure I called them).

Anyway, I've made lots of mistakes (totally dropped Kal when he was only months old) and assumptions. One of those assumptions was that things with the name "baby" in them were actually good for babies. My mistake! Baby oil was one of those things. Actually, I can blame Zay for this one. He slathered Kal with baby oil after a bath once (not sure why - guess he thought it was interchangeable with lotion). The next day, Kal woke up entirely covered in a rash. Eyes swollen, skin puffy and red ALL OVER.

I remember thinking he looked like Will Smith in the movie Hitch when he reacted to a food allergy:


Who knew that would happen, right? It says it's for babies!... I looked up "allergy to baby oil" and found out baby oil is pretty much terrible and shouldn't be applied to a baby's skin. Or anybody's skin. And regular Johnson's baby products are loaded with chemicals and really aren't something you should apply to your skin and absorb into your body on a regular basis. Rashes from the mineral oil and/or the fragrance in baby oil are common (because it's not good for your skin).

I didn't take a picture because I remember thinking he doesn't look like my little boy! And it was the one thing I didn't want to document, lol. Poor little guy. We treated the rash with a soothing oatmeal bath multiple times a day to remove as much as the baby oil from his skin as possible. Gave him a little pain reliever. It cleared up in a few days. Hydrocortisone cream would've probably helped as well.

We now avoid any "moisturizer" with mineral oil in the ingredients list... or basically anything we can't pronounce. Much better alternative: coconut oil.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog