Thursday, February 12, 2015

Baby Name Pickin'

It didn't take us very long to pick a name for Baby #2. We went with an "S" name after his first mother. That wittled it down really quickly to only a handful of names we actually liked. It came down to Shamar (my pick) vs Shakir (Zay's pick). I doodled my favorites until I got to Shamar Jivan.

But Zay won. Ha ha. I said "Shakir" out loud and the more I said it, the more I loved it. S loves it. She's Muslim and the names we usually like tend to be common Muslim or Arabic names. I think Islam is a beautiful religion, so fine by me! Kal picked up on it fast and started calling his baby brother by name, so that was that. It was settled. S asked me was it bad that she didn't even look for a name, but just waited to see what we'd pick. She's "all name pickinged out." Ha ha. I don't think so. I think that means she's invested in the adoption and wants us to have those sort of parenting privileges. And I think that's awesome. :)

Shakir means "thankful." Is there not a better word for this time in our lives?? THANKFUL. That's an understatement. It's perfect.

As for a middle name, I was stuck on the name Jabar for a little bit. It means "consoler," which to me meant "a bringer of peace." I doodled that name for awhile in my journal. Zay didn't like the way it sounded and we have a friend with a son named Jabar, so we felt out other names. I hung onto Jabar until a friend said it reminded her of Jar Jar Binks... completely ruined it for me. Ha ha ha. We came full circle and settled on a middle name we were going to use for the baby boy in our first failed adoption back in the summer of 2013. Malik. It means "king" and goes with the "royal" meaning of my first name (Alice means "of a noble kin"). I still really like "bringer of peace," but "king" will do just fine. :)

Shakir Malik.

We speak that name with reverence around here. Our second son. Coming home soon.

This has been like a dream so far. How did we get so lucky??

Kal, helping me open the million packages I've been ordering to prep for baby! (pay no attention to the mess!)


Meanwhile... our baby mama feels like this. Lol. Sorry, girl!!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog